Date Added: 8th May
Institute for Continuous Improvement
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE
The Institute is an ambitious charity, passionate about advancing continuous improvement in public services, through education, collaboration and research. Due to natural retirement of existing trustees and as part of our succession strategy, we are seeking four outstanding individuals to join our Board of Trustees. The roles are for an initial two year term. We want our Board to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve and encourage candidates from all sectors and backgrounds.
The role of Trustee is to provide direction and support to the senior management team, with regard to development, strategy and policy; as well as monitoring the efficient running of the organisation. We are looking for individuals who can offer their expertise, skills and networks to further the success of The Institute and to scrutinise and advise on senior management decisions.
Although unremunerated this offers an exceptional opportunity to play a key role in ensuring The Institute remains at the forefront of best practice.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for:
• In conjunction with the CEO, ensure the Institute complies with all legal, regulatory and statutory requirements
• Ensuring the Institute’s governance structure is appropriate and of the highest possible standard
• Contributing insight to help shape strategic plans
• Ensuring the organisation pursues its objectives as defined in its Business Plan; evaluating performance against targets
• Ensuring major risks are regularly identified and reviewed and that systems are in place to mitigate or minimise these risks
• Ensuring compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
• Ensuring the Institute’s financial obligations are met and that there are adequate financial controls in place
• Ensuring tangible and intangible assets such as the Institute’s brand, good name and reputation are recognised, used and safeguarded
• Fostering relations with potential funders and donors.
• Acting as an ambassador for The Institute, representing the organisation as a spokesperson at appropriate events, meetings or functions.
The ideal candidate will have senior level experience in at least one of the following areas:
• Audit & Risk
• Digital marketing experience with a high level of expertise
• Formation and delivery of continuous improvement strategies in customer focussed organisations
• Business/commercial experience, ideally in the area of maximising and generating revenue
• Academic research
• Previous experience as a Trustee would be welcomed but is not necessary
In addition you will demonstrate:
• Commitment to The Institute’s objectives, aims and values
• Entrepreneurship; a visionary thinker who provides realistic and innovative ideas for growth.
• Experience of working strategically and co-operatively at Board level to achieve results; Balancing tact and diplomacy with a willingness to challenge and constructively criticise.
• Existing and extensive relationships and networks at the highest level within relevant organisations
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; the ability to listen, tact and diplomacy and a willingness to speak out
• Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship and willingness to devote time to carry out responsibilities.
• Good, independent judgement and political impartiality, adhering to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
• Quarterly Board meetings (up to 3 hours duration) by tele conference
• The Board meets once a year face to face prior to the annual conference
• Voluntary role. Unremunerated, travel expenses will be paid in accordance with our expense policy
If you wish to apply for this position, please supply the following:
• A detailed CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements.
• A covering letter (maximum two sides) highlighting your suitability for the role and how you meet the person specification. Please note that the covering letter is an important part of your application and will be assessed as part of your full application
• Please provide details of two professional referees together with a brief statement of the capacity and over what period of time they have known you. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Please send to email@example.com by 20 May 2016.